WATER WATER EVERYWHERE…..
This year the Green Committee were focused on the theme of Water again in the hope of securing the third Green Flag for Woodbrook College. The year got off to a great start with three of our Third Year students being appointed Water Ambassadors by An Taisce. Eduard, Adam and Daniel attended a national training day in Dublin where they met other ambassadors and shared ideas on how they could raise awareness around Water Conservation and Sustainable use. The boys left full of enthusiasm and began planning their Water Festival to coincide with World Water Day March 22nd. They decided to enlist the help of the TY Development Education classes who planned some activities like a table quiz and obstacle course themed around Water. The Water Festival was a huge success and the Fifth Year students were so affected by what they learned about Water and Sanitation in developing economies that they decided to hold a non-uniform day to make a contribution to Water Aid which is a charity that aims to improve sanitation in developing economies. They managed to raise €460. In April the Water Ambassadors will make their final report to An Taisce and they were commended for their hard work throughout the year (and rewarded with an Amazon Kindle!). The Water Ambassadors would like to share their top 5 tips on what you can you do at home to save Water:
1. Use a basin in the sink - A basin is useful for washing dishes by hand or collecting the water you use to rinse fruit and vegetables, which can then be used for watering plants.
2. Keep a jug of water in the fridge - Waiting for a tap to run cold water to drink can waste more than 10 litres of water in a day.
3. Choose the correct pot or pan size for cooking and remember to use the lid on a pot or pan when cooking to reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation, meaning you don’t have to keep adding water in.
4. Add layers of plant material, like bark or straw, to the soil in your garden to help keep the sun off so that it can retain more water for your plants and you can save on water.
5. Consider adding a toilet cistern bag to your toilet cistern to reduce the amount of water used in every flush.
The reward for the Green Committees hard work will be the awarding of the third Green Flag in May at DCU. Well done to all involved it was another busy but exciting year for all involved.